FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:52 am
Orange County Commuter

Originally Posted by justhere
Think about what you are saying. Logistically it doesn't make sense. First, you would have to keep track of everyone that preboarded and then have their connection information (or are you just going to take their word that they have a tight connection?). Second, if someone, not the preboarder, is sitting in the middle and/or the window seat, are you going to tell them that they have to get off last because the person in the aisle seat was a preboarder and they have to get off last?

I have no doubt that some people abuse the preboarding thing. There isn't a whole lot WN or any airline can do about it. However, just because someone uses a wheelchair to get on the plane and doesn't to get off, doesn't mean that they are abusing the system. Several times someone I travel with who uses a wheelchair to get down to the plane has requested a wheelchair for when they get off. But on a few occasions when they get off, the wheelchair wasn't there. While not easy, it was just the lesser of two evils to walk up to the gate area and sit down rather than stand in the jetway waiting for a wheelchair that might not show up for a while.

Also, sometimes it depends on the airport. Get off the plane in MCI and it's not that far to walk from the plane to the curb. Get off at other airports and it's quite a hike to get to the curb.

All I'm saying to all posters is don't presume to know how someone is affected by their disability unless you have the exact same disability or travel with someone who has the same disability.
While it's not a SW city for years we did not get a wheelchair in Knoxville, which is a small easy to navigate airport and did get one in Atlanta which is far from small and easy to navigate! I am sure the "judgement" team made snide comments when she got off the plane in Knoxville.