FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dollar rental car: return car early results in daily rate vs weekly rate
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:02 pm
jayer

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Why I Asked and the Word I Would Use Is "Surprising"

Back when I traveled many business trips of uncertain length I'd book the maximum expected length and hope I got done early. With virtually no exception booking direct on the company website for a company location with a loyalty program number resulted in being charged the lesser of the weekly or daily rates even when recalculated to the actual rental period.

Not the same deal if booked through a third party travel agency as I previously had done; in fact it got to the point there were often early drop fees and I asked for an explanation. Duly noted they viewed booking channels differently and I then only booked direct.

Would not have felt shafted if they charged the original rate for a shortened rental and a very limited number of times it was. But usually the price went down. Either way it's a data point for next rental.

Last edited by jayer; Oct 6, 2016 at 11:54 am