FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Musing on status issues
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:58 pm
rens

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by skipaway
Thanks for the heads up on CC. I have put SWUs on there in the past, "free to good home". I will refrain from doing so in future as I'd hate to lose my miles.

I feared this would be the "wrong" forum, not sure there's a right one'

I understand, or more correctly, am coming to understand, the new RDM/EQM rules. I was just wondering how "safe" it would be to fly a oneworld carrier, perhaps even a codeshare on AA metal, credit to AA, but expect NOT to get credit for LTPlat, which has to be BIS American metal. For example, take a LATAM fligt SFO-BOG, which is operated by AA, credit my miles to AA (thus qualifying for EXP). But since it's marketed by LATAM, would these be BIS AA miles? I know if it were on LATAM metal, I'd be ok, but not sure about the codeshare.

I realize I'm overthinking it, but thought might be worth the effort, if not the expense, to delay LT qualifying til '17 and spread out the SWUs.
My understanding is that partner marketed flights count toward million miler accrual. Thus the LA code would earn million miler credit and defeat your purpose of delaying 2mm qualification.
Also, since LA only yields 1,5 times actual for eqm calculation in D class (versus 2,0 times on AA coded metal) you would also sacrifice eqm.