FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time Cruise: Best way to Book
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:37 pm
YVR Cockroach
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by david55
I did two transatlantic voyages as a kid....47 years ago. I remember getting pretty seasick and have been "off" boats ever since. So this is a bit of a gamble.
In such a case, a wise decision was made. Oceania ships aren't huge (relatively speaking) which doesn't help with stability (not that huge ships helps if they don't have/use stabilisers).

The Med can be surprisingly rough too, especially in the wider and bigger western portion.

I did talk to a TA today whose specialty is Oceanic cruises..... he gave me some pointers and helped pinpoint a location on the ship for a cabin to mitigate sea sickness....but I think we have opted to fly as originally planned and try a shorter cruise another year.
Generally speaking, those with seasickness try to locate themselves at or just above waterline close to the centre longitudinal axis and centre to minimise motion felt by the ship's rolling and pitching. The nice and more expensive cabins are usually up high where motion from rolling is felt the most.

From where you're located, I'd try a short repo cruise between Vancouver and southern California. Waters are generally calm.