FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time Cruise: Best way to Book
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:09 am
Randyk47

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by david55
I appreciate all the responses. I got a headache yesterday weighing this possibility of our first cruise.

We woke up this morning and decided against it. Primarily because of the length. 24 days having never cruised before...ever.... seemed a gambl. If after 3 days we say..." huh this is not fun"...and we have 3 more weeks of it.....that makes me nervous.

There was another reason as well. This would put us in Athens 2 days before we meet friends for a 3 week driving trip around the Peloponnese and I am concerned that a multi- port cruise might jade and tire us a bit for our journey in Greece....which is most important and something we are really looking forward to.

We will fly over on award tickets BA First class as original planned.
While at some level I think you're missing out on a wonderful experience I also agree that starting out with a 24-day cruise as your first cruise maybe isn't a good idea. Twenty plus years ago my wife and I took a 4-day "try it, you'll like it" cruise. I had been pushing to try cruising for years but she was afraid she'd get seasick, feel claustrophobic, etc., etc. Long story short she loved it and it was the start of many great cruise vacations. That said it's not for everybody. I probably know as many people who have cruised and won't ever again as I do folks who are hooked on cruising. I'd suggest you try something a little shorter and closer to home as a first cruise sampler.