FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving Back to the US. What to do with all these miles?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:06 pm
Darren870

Moving Back to the US. What to do with all these miles?

Hi All,

I've been overseas for the past 8 years and have since acquired lots of different airline miles based on where I've lived. In summary I have the following:

Virgin Atlantic - 15,518
United Mileageplus - 6,895
Virgin Velocity - 56,252
Qantas - 9,012
BA Avios - 1,332
Delta Skymiles - 150 + (Soon miles from a RT Trip from SYD to JFK)

Basically its a mess.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do in terms of consolidating as much as I can? Is it even possible? I am taking a RT flight from SYD to JFK in a few days and will be using my SkyMiles program instead of the Velocity one. I think that's a good call, right? (T Class Ticket). Otherwise I could put my Virgin Velocity but I get .5 miles per mile.

I will be moving back to the USA in 2 months time and figured It would be best to start building up a frequent flyer program in the states. Are skymiles considered the best program? Is there another airline/partner I should look into? I will likely be making ~4 international trips a year and 6-10 domestic.

Also I have had the ThankYou rewards by Citi since it came out. As everyone knows the program doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be. Whats the latest and greatest these days in terms of FF points with Credit Cards? I haven't looked into it in years so I am out of the CC game.

Any tips would be great!