FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2016]
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:41 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Safeway here does EMV now! Also same with Harbor Freight. Checked two different stores of each!! Might be worth checking your local ones before mass adding them to the map! EMV was fast, not quick chip though. Used a debit card to pretend I'm in Europe :-p!
Harbor Freight's had it for a while. My local Vons probably still doesn't have it yet but we'll see.

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Now if somebody can give me a card with 2% rewards net on foreign travel, well I'm open to suggestions.
Diners Club was probably the best bet if you were willing to play the "transfer points" game. Has an AF, but basically all transferable points programs do. Honestly, I wonder how much longer the flat 2% cash back cards will actually last; 1.5x cards are the only ones that seem to last for any significant period of time.

Also, I'd go as far as to say chip and PIN is actually a liability if you're a visitor to the US and go off the beaten path. Much like how it's the other way around occasionally for Americans overseas. Maybe if we actually were all on one page and disabled PIN support on all US terminals (or issued only PIN-preferring cards to Americans) it'd be a different story.