FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where are you going next?
View Single Post
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:58 pm
Pausanias

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I pick our restaurants based on a combo of factors, only one of which is Michelin. The Pellegrino ranking matters more to me than Michelin, but any rankings used alone without other considerations are for sheep. Still, most Michelin restaurants are wonderful.

That being said, trying to critique me for including the Michelin stars in THIS forum is the height of hypocrisy if you don't mind me saying so. Especially as we are traveling in Europe.

Our final dinner last night at the Club del Doge was delightful--great food, great service, great setting. As was our lunch at the Aman Grand Canal the day before.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your dinner at the Gritti.

Personally, I don't pay any attention at all to the Pellegrino thing at all. It's just a marketing ploy. This makes interesting reading -

http://www.andyhayler.com/blog/post/...legrino-forgot

I think most serious food people think Michelin is at its weakest in Italy. I was in Venice in January last year with stunning weather and relatively few tourists.

Venice, Italy by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

Our best meals were in local restaurants not even in the Michelin guide. The best was near our hotel and was called Vini da Gigio, a small trattoria-style place packed with locals and a few tourists. I had the freshest, sweetest razor clams, strewn on a plate with the nonchalance of an Andy Murray backhand slice. Then the classic Fegato alla Veneziana, served with polenta and heavy with sage and marsala. Finally, a tiramisu, served in a tumbler. Just perfect.

I take Michelin fairly seriously in France, Germany and Switzerland. Anywhere else I'm highly sceptical, including the UK.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 4, 2016 at 11:39 pm