FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - iPhone 7
Thread: iPhone 7
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:51 pm
AsherSB

I know there has been quite a bit of discussion already, but here's my experience with the iPhone 7;

I originally was going to get a standard 7 128 gigabyte in jet black, but moved to space grey after seeing the wait for preorders and hearing about the issues with scratching.
I love the phone, a longer battery and better screen make it a joy to use. The new home button is also great, it still has a "click" but feels like nothing else i've used. There's a lot of stuff to like, but I still can't get over not having a headphone jack.

I have a pair of Bose SoundSports, and pair of QuietComfort 25s, totalling over $400 in headphones. When I bought them, I saw it as something of an investment. I listen to a lot of music, and it made sense to have high quality headphones that I could use for quite a few years. Of course, without a headphone jack, both are rendered obsolete. I could make the move to wireless, but it's a bit cost prohibitive, and only one pair of headphones currently supports Apple's W1 pairing technology. If new technologies are coming to market soon (like W1), I don't see the point of buying now.

In the end, cabled headphones with the iPhone 7 are a nightmare, but the new headphones that were supposed to create a wireless future hasn't arrived. I feel like it's a product without the ecosystem necessary to support it, and because of that, I wouldn't recommend an upgrade until that ecosystem exists.

If you do plan on upgrading, I pay about $105/Month through sprint. That includes unlimited data, a leased phone, and device insurance. It's pricy, but not that bad if you use huge amounts of data.