FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Card with best airport lounge/hotel upgrade features?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 6:29 pm
Stefan Daystrom

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by goingnow
I am looking to consolidate my current cards (Starwood/Hilton) into one card with more features. I know they can be expensive and don't know where to begin.
Well, it matters a lot WHICH features you care about and which ones you don't.

For example, the regular charge AMEX that someone else recommended supports only a tiny amount of the airline programs that the Starwood AMEX supports. If you want to earn airline miles, either Starwood AMEX or Diners Club are the way to go (unless the tiny number of airlines the regular AMEX can transfer to fit all your needs).

Airport lounges where? Internationally, Diners Club gets you into lots of airport lounges (you don't need anything but the card, so it works whatever class or airline you're flying), but extremely few in the US.

There are also programs independent of charge/credit cards that can get you into lounges for an annual membership fee. One of these that I looked at (I forget the name) had lounges at a lot of airports in the US, but typically only in one or two of the terminals at airports where I'm usually in a completely different terminal.

I'm not sure what you mean by hotel upgrade from a card. I'm only familiar with hotel upgrades by being elite in a frequest guest program, and I wasn't aware of any charge/credit cards that automatically make you that (especially not permanently), you typically have to requalify (via points and/or nights and/or stays and/or maybe promos) each year.