FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kids' activities & Japanese things
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:20 pm
evergrn

Kids' activities & Japanese things

We have a 2-day trip to Singapore coming up with 2 kids (7 & 5). We're using 1 day to do touristy things that are fun for kids. Another day to get a feel for what type of place it is to live, how it is for Japanese expat community and what's available for Japanese people.

This is the first time in many years I'm traveling to a country I've never been to. So I'm nervous. Sadly, I'm also not good at researching and planning visits to places I'm not familiar with.

We're probably staying at the Hilton on Orchard Rd, possibly Conrad. We're going to be up probably 5a~6p (well, breakfast till ~7.30a). Definitely in bed by 7p.

Questions:
-- For the one fun day, we're thinking zoo, Gardens by the Bay, one mall (Marina Bay Sands?), one place we can get a view of the city (ferris wheel or Sands Sky deck?), Bukit Timah time permitting. Bukit Timah is only because my kids would love to see monkeys running around, but it can be crossed off. Could we fit all that in in one day? It sounds like the zoo alone will require half-day at least.
-- I read that subways are very crowded. I'm also nervous about catching the wrong train, etc. Other than going back and forth between Hilton and the Marina Bay area, we plan to take taxi's everywhere (too/from airport, zoo, Bukit Timah, Japanese school). Do you think this is a smart way to get around?
-- I heard that all the popular food places have long lines. Chicken rice place, food market, etc. So skip those if on a tight schedule, right?
-- Love Crystal Jade in HK. Is the one in Singapore even better, and is it worth going? We'll be in HK right after SIN, btw.
-- Any other good sit-down Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant in Orchard Rd area that will not require a wait at ~5pm?
-- As far as Japanese things are concerned, we're going to check out the Japanese school. Otherwise, all the Japanese things are concentrated around Orchard Rd, correct? Is that where there's highest prevalence of Japanese people walking around? It's the main reason why we chose Hilton over Conrad... to get a feel for where most Japanese people live and hang out at. Any other areas to check out with regards to this purpose?
-- Does Singapore have a city'super (that's a HK store) type grocery chain that caters to expats? If so, I'd like to check it out.
-- Do we need cash for anything besides taxi? (we only have VISA card, and I hear taxi's don't take VISA)

I apologize if some of these are stupid questions.