FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dollar rental car: return car early results in daily rate vs weekly rate
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:11 am
randix

Red face "scummy"?

Originally Posted by gar598
Learned the hard way that dollar will automatically switch you without explanation to the daily rate if you return the car early on a weekly rate. Seems kind of scummy to me...
I don't come to the defense of rental companies often, but it's not unusual when booking a reservation, to find that a weekly rate is cheaper than a daily rate. If after you book a weekly rate and you decide to return it early, not sure why one thinks it's "scummy" for a rental car company to recompute the rate. As a practical matter, I find on weekly rentals, generally if you have the car at least 4 days, they never recompute the rate. If I think I may be returning the car early, I check with the rental company before booking on their policies.

But "scummy" practice when you contract for one pricing period, and then unilaterally switch it to another expecting the rental company to honor it? On this one, I don't think the word applies... jmho