FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bumped from First to Business
View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:36 am
lorcancoyle

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
You should take a look at the EC261 thread dealing with downgrades. I thought it was a pretty clear rule that you got 75% back in a situation like this.

Of course, the question is 75% of what? The total fare, or just the cost of that leg? And what about the companion voucher - how is that valued? And the cash element - I think there was a recent case which means they won't get any refund of the cash element of the fare.

As I say, EC261 thread is worth a read. I hope it works out for them. Personally I'd be OK with having 75% of my avios back to fly in CW on an overnight from JFK to LHR- if they play it right they might end up with more avios than they started with!
F to J probably attracts the same taxes and airport fees, so no cash due on that portion, but I don't think that the BA imposed fees can be treated as a tax. But that's maybe £300-400 return, so 75% of one way isn't much. If the difference in Avios is being provided I'd agree it's probably best to take the cash and Avios difference.