FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upfare process on CX?
View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:55 am
sscywong

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by undersky
Hi All,
My company will only book us in Y. How easy is it to call CX and pay the difference to upgrade it to J? Will I be able to simply pay the difference between my booked fare and the lowest available J fare from their website? Or is there some stupid rule that I can only upgrade to a full J fare, or pay some upgrade fee?
I want to know this before booking a Y on CX, so if it's easier to do this on other airlines, I would book w/ other airlines instead.
Thanks
That's what I do always

My experience:

Y (subclass) can only up to W or J (mind you price can vary even for the same subclass. Ask your agent to check all fare code). You can ask your agent or CX to do so. But don't ever think about upselling Y to D or even I

For other subclasses CX usually won't handle the upgrade themselves as they don't know the fare your agent charged you and the special fare arrangement you and your agent has so they can't calculate the fare difference.

But your Co's agent may or may not help you to do so (as this may be troublesome to their accounting department). My agent told me direct upsell unlikely as it is essentially a cancellation and re-ticketing rather than a direct reissue...

Nonetheless, that's my experience. YMMV