FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help understanding QF international upgrades - requested vs op-ups
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:20 pm
suziemay

Originally Posted by og
I'm unaware of when "Thanksgiving weekend" is. It is not a recognised event in Australia. That said, I'd think long haul international wouldn't be affected too much by a frenetic holiday period that would appeal to a local market?

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
United States of America Thanksgiving is November 24. Given the OP's route, the safe assumption is that the "weekend" to which is referred is the weekend after that date. While I am American and clearly knew the reference, a very (very) quick Google search would have given you the answer!
Oops, sorry. Was drawing a parallel to travelling to/from Hong Kong around Chinese New Year which is also something I will be doing so I made the connection in my head and didn't think to share it out loud

Yes, Thanksgiving is on November 24, celebrated in the US, not so much elsewhere. Always falls on a Thursday and most get Friday off, hence "Thanksgiving weekend". I didn't think the date was relevant, was mentioning to imply I was flying around busy travel time for Americans, but I'm not sure if many Americans would be flying that route at that time, or Aussies living in the US would take the opportunity to go home during that time.