FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bump off upgrade problem
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:45 am
Dad to Rei

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Bump off upgrade problem

Ok, so on April 1st, my wife and I were scheduled to fly on Delta the following.
PHL-JFK-CDG.

When we arrived at PHL, we asked about bumping, we were told that both our flights that day were significantly over-sold. They tagged our luggage as standbye, incase they needed us to bump off.

At the gate in PHL they were paging for people to bump off whose final destination was JFK, no one volunteered. They talked to us because both our flights were overbooked.

We said that for a voucher (Ended up being 2 & $200 each), and upgrade to first, we would bump (As we had to fly the following day, and delay our trip (Our honeymoon)), also the extended our return from the 8th through the 10th. They put us up in a hotel (not a requirement for us), upgraded us to first/business through Atlanta and on to CDG. Even printed out boarding cards for both flights for us, that said first/business.

The following day, we flew in first from PHL to Atl, no problems, get to ATL, and we are told that they over-sold in first, and have 'down-graded' us to coach.

I sat there and argued with them until I was blue in the face, and the plane was almost ready to take off, finally got them to honor my wifes upgrade, but not mine.

The gate agent even told me that someone had walked up less than 1 hour earlier and paid 6K for that seat, that is why I was not getting it.

Is this normal to get down-graded when taking a bump? How angry should I be? I had never heard of something like this before...... Is there any sort of route you guys would take to complain? Would you complain, or is this common practice?

We were both on U fares, without status on Delta. Origionally on flight 6280 and 16. Changed to flights 505 & 22.