FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T Mobile Global data coverage
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:04 pm
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by wco81
The free unlimited international data on T-Mobile is normally limited to 128kbps. Just enough to load some web pages, Google Maps, email.

But this year, T-Mobile has had promos for full-speed LTE in Europe this year, completely unlimited.

Google Fi does get you high-speed data but you pay about $10 a GB. So that would be comparable to getting a prepaid SIM. Actually I'm going to Australia in November and my research shows I can get at least 3 GB for $24 and maybe a lot more data when they have sales there.

So Google Fi sounds very convenient but if you plan to use a lot of data, because you don't want to rely on hotel wifi, it's not the best value but you don't have to hunt down a prepaid SIM either (researching it, finding a store, etc.).
Yup, that seems to corroborate what I've learned so far. When in the States I use ~ 3GB of data monthly. When traveling I use the unlimited free T-Mo option which is amazing for emergencies and such but just is too slow to be really usable. I leave my home phone on and pay for T-Mo anyway. So now if I switch I'll be basically paying the same thing but getting higher speeds (via Google Fi). I suppose I could take the time to hunt down local SIMs to save a few bucks, but at ~$50 per month it just doesn't seem worth it. I've done that in the past and it can get annoying (I switch countries a lot). I'll take the convenience and speed. Will be buying the new Pixel phone next week and switching. Shame that because I really like T-Mobile and they were the first to promote this. But they simply were passed by as I can't book my travel based on their unknown promo schedule