FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another story of abuse of a disabled passenger
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:18 pm
saizai

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Sai, why aren't these federal filings. I don't understand why any legal complaint against TSA wouldn't be a federal matter.
They are federal filings. The liquids lawsuit is filed in N.D. CA.

The Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) requires alleging a state tort claim according to the laws of the state in which the injury occurred. 42 USC 1983 and Bivens require alleging either a state tort (in certain respects) or a constitutional tort.

And there are airport police involved in at least one instance. Those come under both state and federal law (in different aspects).

State torts, including all common law torts, include things like personal injury, false light, false imprisonment, assault, etc. Constitutional torts include things like violation of due process, unlawful search or seizure, prior restraint on freedom of speech, etc.

So, in short, it's complicated.

Originally Posted by chollie
My takeaway: new program, video, training?

- who is the provider of these products and who in TSA/DHS benefits?
TSA's Office of Civil Rights, Disability Branch is the entity that promulgates such training, through e.g. "TSO In The Know" flyers. I assume they're also the ones that would be responsible for other training changes about trans issues.

The closest I have in my existing FOIA records about trans issues are about having a screener of the same gender as you present, and not having to remove prosthetics. Nothing specifically about trans.

- a new course? How complicated is it to teach people to respect the bodies they are groping?
Where'd you see they're giving anyone a new course?

- how will the new program (cost details?) differ from all the previous consultation TSA claims to have been doing with LGBT individuals and organizations?
Ahahahahaha.