FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which email site to use - esp when travelling?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:51 pm
ajGoes

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Keylogger? baahahahaha. Cmon. The sky isn't falling and no one is logging my keystrokes. You are much more likely to lose or have your phone stolen while traveling. Good luck getting into your account then.
Losing your phone is probably more common than being the victim of a keylogger. The latter event is vastly more serious, though. Your phone is locked*, so while it could be quite inconvenient to lose it, the loss won't be accompanied by the loss of all your saved emails and the stripping of your bank and retirement accounts. These are realistic possible consequences of using a computer with a keylogger installed.

James Fallows wrote a detailed article about the massive headache he and his wife endured when her Gmail account was hacked, almost certainly due to careless use of a public computer. It's just one story, but the possible consequences are so severe that you should never consider a public computer safe. I used a hotel's business center computer the other day and was impressed both by the quantity of other people's information I found in its browser and by its complete lack of security.

*It is, isn't it?