FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exceptional Luxury (RC Sarasota, FL)
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:41 pm
Valveking

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks for the review. Now that Marriott/RC has taken over SPG, I'm paying even more attention to the RC reviews in locations I'd not previously considered.

Call me crazy, but while I appreciate that our OP liked the hotel, it didn't strike me as "exceptional luxury" based on the photos or the various descriptions/details and, of course, the criticisms. It strikes me as a pretty nice hotel...with a slightly nicer Club experience that seems pretty overpriced.

I assume if you're considering Sarasota, this may be the nicest option in town. But because it doesn't seem particularly luxurious IMO, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here--Club or otherwise.

I also am of the opinion that too many (but not all) "luxury" hotels with Clubs are actually diluting the regular luxury hotel experience in order to pretend there is a more luxurious experience with Club rooms/services. I've found this to be true at many RC and Shangri-La properties, in fact...the 2 chains where I tend to see more Clubs. There are exceptions (RC Hong Kong, for example), but most of the time I find Club luxury hotels are not as consistent overall or personalized as non-Club luxury hotels.

I also am not someone who thinks Clubs are that spectacular anyway. If I want luxury, I want to eat at a proper restaurant or get room service...not dine in a Club. If the Club is particularly lovely or has a spectacular view, I'd wonder why the Club is reserved for certain rooms and not available for everyone to enjoy. It's a luxury hotel--putting a "hotel club" within a hotel doesn't tend to improve the hotel experience for me despite the rhetoric.
I agree 100% with this view on the clubs.

Thanks for the review of the RC.

Is it just me or or does anybody else find the description of the RC employees as" ladies and gentlemen" incredibly pretentious?