FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exceptional Luxury (RC Sarasota, FL)
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:08 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the review. Now that Marriott/RC has taken over SPG, I'm paying even more attention to the RC reviews in locations I'd not previously considered.

Call me crazy, but while I appreciate that our OP liked the hotel, it didn't strike me as "exceptional luxury" based on the photos or the various descriptions/details and, of course, the criticisms. It strikes me as a pretty nice hotel...with a slightly nicer Club experience that seems pretty overpriced.

I assume if you're considering Sarasota, this may be the nicest option in town. But because it doesn't seem particularly luxurious IMO, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here--Club or otherwise.

I also am of the opinion that too many (but not all) "luxury" hotels with Clubs are actually diluting the regular luxury hotel experience in order to pretend there is a more luxurious experience with Club rooms/services. I've found this to be true at many RC and Shangri-La properties, in fact...the 2 chains where I tend to see more Clubs. There are exceptions (RC Hong Kong, for example), but most of the time I find Club luxury hotels are not as consistent overall or as personalized as non-Club luxury hotels.

I also am not someone who thinks Clubs are that spectacular anyway. If I want luxury, I want to eat at a proper restaurant or get room service...not dine in a Club. If the Club is particularly lovely or has a spectacular view, I'd wonder why the Club is reserved for certain rooms and not available for everyone to enjoy. It's a luxury hotel--putting a "hotel club" within a hotel doesn't tend to improve the hotel experience for me despite the rhetoric.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 26, 2016 at 1:51 pm