FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will the MarWood merger impact your IHG stays?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:28 am
submonte

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Yes. The reason is the unbeatable large upscale and luxury footprint of Marriott in Europe and the advantages of the combined Marriott Rewards and SPG programs. For me now it is like one program, I never wanted to decide for one of them, or one of the both hotel groups, but now the situation is different.

AMB membership I renewed but remaining SPIRE is no more my target. I go for Marriott or SPG Platinum now, plus renewing HH Diamond. The IHG Rewards program incl. bonus points rates and promotions is generous in points earning but I prefer the breakfast benefit and lounge access of HH, MR and SPG.

I will continue to stay at HIX if it makes sense. But more MOXYs to come, and Hampton by Hilton (in Germany).

CP branded hotels I do not use, I cannot identify myself with them. I always have liked Renaissance and Sheraton much more than Crowne Plaza.

HI is not my brand as well but however they provide good value for money.

ICs I stay at sometimes, but more for holidays. There are none in Italy, and many MR/SPG properties. Carlton Cannes is a good reason to stay with IHG, Le Grand Paris also, but Marriott has many top alternatives in Paris. France is the only market in Europe where IHG is well set in the luxury segment.

I have never been a boutique hotel fan but Indigo seems very ok. Staying two nights in Rome this month on points. As we are three, I needed to book two rooms as Indigo unlike IC provides no rooms for 3 people (too small, suites n/a on points).

Kimpton looks very valuable but not available in Europe yet.

The RA program does not convince me nor I understand the qualification criteria (And the RAs themselves also not if you read that thread). In my eyes it must be completely restructured and applicable to a to be built luxury segment division with IC as top brand plus upgraded CPs as "IC light", Indigo and Kimpton (cobranded with "by Intercontinental" - see Accor´s "by Sofitel"), to have an extended visible footprint against Marriott. It looks very fragmentary what IHG does. I do not see they have a future-proof strategy to position them against Marriott in the upscale/luxury segment. As well I see them lose against the excellent midscale strategy of Hilton with Hampton and Tru. And if Hilton would decide to give more priority to their luxury segment in Europe with Waldorf-Astoria, Conrad and Curio brands, IHG could come in trouble without a clear strategy. Maybe Hilton should take over IHG.

Last edited by submonte; Sep 25, 2016 at 10:37 am Reason: lose not loose