FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Gold - what is the big deal?
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:46 pm
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott Plats who matched to SPG Plat got a much better Platinum level, even at the 50 night "tier", compared to MR Plat. No offense to you, but they didn't deserve the 75 level benefits (Your24 and the bonus 4th point).
But Marriott Plats did not match at the 50-night "tier" of SPG Platinum. We matched at the most basic SPG Platinum level. SPG will only provide the additional benefits of the 50-night tier if we actually stay 50 nights at Starwood-legacy properties. The status match does not recognize the minimum of 75 nights to achieve Marriott Platinum in any way.

Meanwhile, all SPG Plats match at the full Marriott Platinum level that normally requires at least 75 Marriott nights -- even those SPG Plats who had just 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights in a calendar year.

I've been SPG Gold for a few years. I consider the value of SPG Gold to be substantially inferior to Marriott Gold.

I can see Marriott reaching out to SPG members, but the match mapping significantly favors SPG members.

Of course, all this is temporary. When the programs are actually combined, it's likely that qualification levels will look much more like Marriott Rewards than SPG.