FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:56 pm
yolandearagon

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
CSR + CFU

Since I'm planning my next international trip in 3 weeks but have not yet received the CSR card in the mail yet, I checked online (how I knew I'd been approved) then called to ask when it would arrive. The great rep I spoke with confirmed they have been overwhelmed with requests for the new card and so I would probably get a plastic card (as of Monday, she said) until more metal cards are produced.

She confirmed all online benefits I have read about. It turns out my other cards did not include Freedom, but were Slate, Amazon, Marriott, and Sapphire Preferred. I'm planning to keep the others but pointed out I'd never use the Preferred once I have the Reserve so asked her best opinion. She asked my traveling habits (international travel is the main thing I spend money on and put everything else at home on a credit card, until I receive my CSR Barclay's) then told me about both Chase Freedom and CFU. The end result was a no fee CFU replacing my Preferred Sapphire at no annual fee with 1.5 miles per all dollars spent. While it has disadvantages used abroad, my CSR would take care of that, so it seems like a perfect combination. With the $300 travel credit for CSR and no annual fee for the CFU, it amounts to me paying only $55 a year for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card (and that's not including all the other benefits like Priority Pass).