FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why not board from the tail (and tow in instead of out)?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:00 pm
Galileo787

Originally Posted by fumje
This is something I've wondered about for a little while. Why aren't airports / operations designed to tow an aircraft into the gate, and to allow boarding from the tail?

Then I wondered if the thrust from most engines is too great, so that it cannot be directed toward the terminal, and so that it would require a second tow out.

Is that the reason?
I can see a major slow down of the arrival process to the gate due to hooking-up the tow tractor and dangers of the clearances pushing tail first to the gate, nose in to the gate is way faster with the pilot driver using the aircraft docking guidance system where every second counts during arrivals for connections, unloading, loading of cargo, bags, fuel, catering. Spooling up those turbofans during departure to get the metal rolling would take some thrust and need a blast fence behind them, still would get a major sand storm of debris, not to mention people can get hurt or equipment damage after the turn into the ramp. I have seen nose in aircraft self backing out of a gate with engines in reverse thrust, just don't tap on the brakes during this maneuver. LoL