FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:06 am
nomii

Update - Amex had taken away my 100k because I had cancelled my card (no MS).
I filed CPFB, and here is their response, which essentially boils down to "don't cancel your card atleast 8 weeks till after your points hit"

I have re-filed with CPFB on the basis that cancellation disclosure only mentions pending/upcoming points forfieted, not already awarded points which have posted being forfieted. Technically since frozen points could be used for statement credit, they should've been available for redemption also right, so Amex can't claim they were not available? Next will do claims and arbitration also.

American Express records indicate you applied for the above referenced Platinum Card from American Express. The
promotional offer associated with the application included receiving 100,000 Membership Rewards (MR) points after
making $3,000.00 in eligible purchases on the card in the first three months of Card Membership.

Your MR account was reviewed to make sure the total of all eligible purchases met the spend requirement of $3,000.00 in
the first three months of Card Membership. Per the terms and conditions of the promotional offer, MR points may take up
to 6 to 8 weeks after the spend requirement is met to become available for redemption. During the 6 to 8 week review
period, although MR points are unavailable for redemption, any continued spend on your card during the first three
months of Card Membership is also reviewed for eligibility toward the promotion.

However, prior to the MR points being made available in your program account, our records show you cancelled your
Platinum Card on August 17, 2016. Accordingly, we reversed the MR points that would have been awarded in association
with the promotional offer because you no longer had a Platinum Card at that time.

On further review, the Amex website itself says "Available Points" under your points balance, so they really don't have a leg to stand on, since they say the points are available.

Last edited by nomii; Sep 22, 2016 at 11:13 am