FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA SAN loads and lack of CLT flights
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:08 pm
capin

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hartwith
A couple of random questions for those far more versed in BA than I am. Apologies in advance if either of these have been previously covered, I tried to find existing threads without success.

Recently I flew LHR-SAN in J and was surprised to see the cabin completely full. A quick bit of research suggests it has one of the highest average loads for BA into the US. Why is this? SAN does not have a huge economy (17th by GDP in the US) and only has a couple of large multinationals headquartered there. Moreover, it is a useless location for pax to connect onto somewhere else, so is this route mostly tourism?

It also seems strange that this route would be doing so well, yet no other EU carrier flies into SAN. In fact the only non-North American carrier that flies into SAN is JAL.

Further, the likes of CLT, one of the fastest growing economies in the US and geographically excellently located for connecting pax, does not have a BA flight. Again, a quick check suggests that AA's average loads between LHR and CLT are in the high 80s/low 90s. The latter lack of competition is highly frustrating for me as the prices for the AA direct flights are consequently very high in J into CLT (regularly 5-6k), thus my work sends me through the likes of NY/ATL. Willie or Cruzader, if you are reading this, please put a CLT flight on.

Any insight greatly appreciated!
I would love it, Absolutely love it if BA came to Charlotte. AA M or J flights to the UK are normally around the 1K and 3K GBP respectively, Yields must be great.