FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Broken seat in J
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:38 am
David_Doyle

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by justforfun
I'm aware that you feel the gesture of 5,000 Avios does not cover the cost of your flights or the challenges you faced. I've evaluated your case and I'm afraid we can't offer any more gestures of goodwill. I'm afraid we have to be consistent and fair to all our customers, therefore on this occasion we can't make an exception. I understand this isn't the answer you were hoping for and I apologise.
'Goodwill' is a rather insulting term. I'm not sure that the use is appropriate:

Goodwill - friendly, helpful, or cooperative feelings or attitude.
"the scheme is dependent on goodwill between the two sides"
synonyms: benevolence, compassion, kind-heartedness, big-heartedness, goodness, kindness, kindliness, consideration, charity; More

'gesture' similarly implies an optional token, which is clearly not the case.

To me, a company offers goodwill as an 'above and beyond what is required' gesture. 5,000 avios can be bought for £95.00 which I suspect is far below the price paid for the POUG.

Don't waste your time corresponding further. You bought product A, were offered an upgrade to product B and took it. BA gave you product A (in my regard) and then offered you 5,000 Avios when they should have offered you B-A (at least). Good luck in your case, which I am sure BA will not seek to defend.

This really reflects poorly on BA..... trying to shortchange customers. It's obvious what the correct 'consistent and fair' compensation offered from the start should have been.