FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What was airline travel in the 80's like?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:10 am
Cloudship

Programs: Independent
I only flew once in the 80's - from Boston to Hawaii and back. It was a three leg flight each way in DC-10s and a brand new 767! There were a lot of differences back then, but I think much of it was also reflective of a different way of life. I think that era stretched a little into the early 90's even.

Going somewhere was always a big deal. People took you to the airport and saw you off, they met you at the airport and wanted to know all about your trip. There was no such thing as the Internet and cell phones and ipads, so everything was planned out ahead of time, and there was always a measure of unknown. Most people didn't choose a seat - if you knew what you were doing you knew how to look at a seat map in the back of the schedule and request a seat, but it was not an instant request. Planes were much less filled, so while you purchased a coach seat, the reality was that unless you flew on the busy flights the middle seat was usually open. People socialized back then. The plane as a place to mingle. That has more to do with everyone being buried in their phone these days or glued to a screen than the airlines. They gave you more time boarding, too, and with fewer passengers it was much less hectic. No problems finding space to put your carryon, and you even got drinks, in coach!

But like Vivo said, you actually worried about crashes, you bought flight insurance. Smoking itself was far more acceptable then so of course you smoked on an airplane. Every public place smelled back then. Airports were cooler, with much more to see and you could watch planes and stuff, but you maybe had one or two places to get something to eat, if you were lucky. And the Moonies! Remember the people trying to sell you flowers (or Leis, in Hawaii)?

I think I miss it, because flying was an event. It had it's problems, but flying wasn't just what got you to where you could start your vacation, it was part of the vacation.