FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:54 pm
montrealer

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by danielm
I've read the thread at the front and at the back, and it sounds like there's changes. I'm arriving in JNB from DOH, then getting on another ticket to ADD. No luggage. Is it true that I'll need to go through immigration and that the wiki is not up-to-date?

Also, a few months ago at JNB the immigration line was horrifically long: two hours or so. Was that an anomaly or will I really need that much time? (I budgeted 4 hours, but I wanted to use those hours basking in the lounge.)
Our experience intl-intl 2 weeks ago was that we indeed needed to pass through a transit immigration line (different from immigration to enter South Africa). We landed at 7am and spent about 20 mins in line, processing slow until they opened more wickets. Meanwhile a longish line accumulated behind us and I'd guess many of those took 45 mins+. Based on that one data point I'd just say high variability due to passenger arrival clustering and staffing levels insufficienlty aligned with arrival volume.