FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feeling even better now about not making super elite next year
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:49 am
Symmetre

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by 97gst
Apples to apples, consider that the cheap AA/Delta fares to China are usually on older aircraft. 747 & 767s usually.

AC may suck but they do have beautiful 777/787 on most of their runs to China. I was on the dreamliner to SHA last year on AC and it was glorious and quiet.

New plane vs old plane and additional stops + clearing into the US instead of passing through YVR is another consideration. Worth the ~30-40% premium? That's up to you...
Thank you for your comment, Mr Rovinescu. Unfortunately, it demands clarification.

For starters, let's note that your beautiful new 777/787 are little more than overpriced sardine cans in Y, and still tighter than many competitors in PY. Add in the often surly staff and uncomfortable new-style seats (which sometimes don't work) and yeah, I think many people would not see being on an older plane with more space as a bad thing, necessarily. Let's also remember that - like many of AC's own aircraft - the older AA/DL planes have all been updated in recent years. It's not like they have the original seats.

Frankly, if one wants a better experience flying to China they should simply fly on CX - an experience that smokes all North American carriers, definitely including AC. Fares are generally pretty close too. But I digress ...

Connecting in the US versus connecting in YVR is a wash for anyone with Nexus/Global Entry. One connection is the same as the next, so that argument is also moot.

Finally, Mr Rovinescu, let's be honest here. The OP isn't talking about a ~30% - 40% price difference as you suggest. AC's fare is near double what AA is asking, which makes the cost difference closer to 100%. This isn't exactly unusual these days either. Face it. Your pricing and your value proposition no longer align like they used to.

Have a good day, and thank you for flying on Asiana.