FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How generous is KLM with compensation?
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:48 am
margarita girl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
How generous is KLM with compensation?

On Sept 4, I flew YYZ-AMS in paid J on a brand new 789 (2 weeks in service). As luck would have it, there was a problem with my AVOD screen. FA reset it 3 times before it finally worked (I think, because at that point I decided that I just wanted to go to sleep).

Then I found out that my lay flat seat wouldn't recline. I stood in the aisle for 25 mins while the FA tried to reset it, to no avail. Cabin was full, so I had to try and sleep while sitting up.

I sent a complaint letter to KLM on Sept 5 and have heard nothing since. Is this normal? I'm used to Star Alliance where complaints of this nature are dealt with promptly.

And the final straw is a hydraulic part needed to be replaced on our aircraft before take off. Captain had us board about 30 mins late, but we sat at the gate for 4 hrs before we could leave. (FAs started serving dinner before we left the ground!) We landed in AMS 4h10m late which I believe should automatically entitle me to EC261/2004 compensation. I did not mention this in my complaint letter as I figured it should be dealt with separately. My girlfriend who was flying with me did file an EC261 claim (also on Sept 5) and has not heard a peep from KL. When something similar happened to me on LH, I had a response the next day and my cheque in hand in less than 2 weeks.

I did a search on compensation and found very little in this forum. Does anyone have experience on what kind of compensation I might get for the lay flat seat that wasn't, on an overnight flight? Is KL usually this slow at responding to customer complaints?