FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:30 pm
Shopfranceinc

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by econometrics
Not necessarily. I'm actually spending more to book discount J or PY fares so far. This vs just a RT discount Y ticket with SWU upgrades on the AA legs across the Pond.

Eg I used to always fly DFW-LHR-JNB on an AA ticket in discounts Y and use SWUs on the AA metal, then cash upgrade to WT+ on BA. Now I'm booking on BA in J or WT+ and using Avios to upgrade.

But yes, EQM is not the qualification amount I'm concerned with. Now I want to boost my EQD as much as I can to give me top spots on the UG list. Partner flying long haul on discount premium fares is the way to go. 👍🏼
Can you tell me more specifically about how you do this? When you book on BA, do you enter your AA number? If so, how do you use your Avios points? Or are you booking BA metal through AA? (Can you use Avios then?) Sorry to be a newbie on this, but I am desperately looking for ways to accomplish just what you have. I need affordable business class fares to buy outright as opposed to buying AA economy and then upgrading. Thank you in advance.