FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:25 pm
KenInEscazu

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
Come 2017, I suspect the critical path for earning status for many will be the EQD requirement, not the EQM.
I'm sure that statement is correct for many, but that's precisely their goal. They are in the driver's seat right now, and there is nothing on the horizon that gives optimism to anyone hoping it will change.

As one who pays for premium cabin seating, I have no problem meeting the EQD. Having both Citi and Barclay cards means that I can fly less and still qualify - or switch to award tickets once my EXP has been renewed for the following year. That may be about to change, however.

Being MDE based, I'm just tired of dealing with American for my trips to and from the USA. I'm now using Copa whenever possible, including creating my own connection from a Copa city to my ultimate destination over to AA. The 319s just aren't that comfortable with my travel frequency, and there are countless other problems.

Mainly I hate connecting at MIA and waiting for my large Priority-marked bags to arrive at customs baggage claim. They always come out last. I'm pretty sure that it's the way they come out of the hold because of size, but I am still paying a premium price for substandard service. I only wish that waiting for bags was the least of my problems this year.

Now that I have qualified for 2017 EXP for a couple of months and using miles (or trying) for every AA trip, I'm even more disappointed. The awards are often (dare I say "usually?") insanely priced in miles in one direction, the other or both. I booked my daughter to meet me at SFO for Thanksgiving last night. AA wanted 25,000 for Economy on the outbound and only offered something at 77,000 for the return. I didn't even check to see if the 77,000 miles for the return were F or Y, but it didn't matter. 102,000 total miles for DFW-SFO-DFW on an airline where I'm EXP vs. 75,000 total in F on UA where I no longer have any status. No brainer.

UA doesn't fly here (MDE), or I might seriously consider switching back to them. Our options just stink these days, so we're going to pay one way or the other. IME, however, AA is the worst. They just happen to have the most options for my regular destinations. Otherwise, I would be gone, and it has little to do with the recent Elite qualification and miles-earning changes. ::heavy sigh::