FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Luxury Hotels of Charleston, S.C.
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:28 pm
pricesquire
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any recent news and/or experiences out of Charleston? Dewberry
I'm watching this hotel with a boat load of interest. I remember the building quite well, and am shocked they are managing to roll out a hotel here. I figured it was due to be demolished at some point.

Very cool space, a la Mad Men...very 1950s exterior. Interior looks VERY nice, love the look of the bathrooms.

Haven't had a chance to visit but I'm looking at a lot of first-hand pictures coming out of this place. Impressive.

What's interesting is:

- They're rolling out rooms floor by floor. I believe they started by rolling out 3 floors, and they just opened a handful more.

- They were running a rooftop bar for quite a while...and when a neighbor spied/heard what was going on up there, they complained to the city. Apparently Dewberry didn't have a permit to run a rooftop bar. Currently being battled out at city hall.

http://www.postandcourier.com/201609...out-more-rooms

The Spectator?
Just voted #2 hotel in the world by T+L, right under Nihiwatu. While I try not to give these lists too much credit, that's a pretty incredible feat for such a new hotel out of this part of the globe.

I haven't stayed there yet (plan on going in October), but I've sent clients...very, very happy; solid if not spectacular feedback. My wife and I did hit the bar/use the lobby, and I liked it. Almost had a 'Siam-feel', in an aesthetic/decor sense. Bar was well-done, and the drinks were delicious.

That said, as you and I know, Charleston will never have the service you'd find in, say, Asia, even Europe, so I'm guessing such positive feedback is due to Charlestonian-style service, F&B, room product, etc.

Has Charleston Place managed to renovate their lobby to seem less like a cold convention center?
Nope; something tells me they won't be renovating their lobby anytime soon either

Must get back to Charleston
Welcome to my life. Half considering moving back, half considering buying into this place.

I love Charleston as much as a human could ever love a city.