FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying out of USA with Felony Warrants and/or Charges
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:10 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tabitha Lallerstedt
Okay, so I am curious to know... Is it possible to obtain a passport and visa for international travel when you have Felony warrants and/or charges against you? In the event that you get a passport/visa for international travel, are you likely to be caught and arrested on felony warrants when trying to board an international flight out of the country? My ex is currently facing Felony Child Abandonment charges and takes a serious chance on being convicted and charged as he doesn't seem to content on cooperating with the courts demands at this point. He has made many comments about wanting to leave the country for years and was living off grid until recently. He has gotten a new state issued I.D. and now we are set for court on the warrant process for September 27th, which he said he may or may not show up to. Any help is much appreciated!
Above you've been pointed toward the rules about passport application issues in such situations.

US passports allow for travel without a visa to many countries; and even for travel to countries where ordinary US passport users must have a visa issued in advance of travel, most such countries issuing visas in the US for US passport holders don't seem to check/verify US law enforcement history prior to issuing short-duration visas to applicants; and most don't even check/verify such even for longer term visit and even residency applicants. Except in certain circumstances, most countries don't verify criminal history of an arriving US citizen who otherwise seems to meet the conditions of being admissible.

Whether or not someone gets stopped at a US port of exit by law enforcement? That is a far more variable outcome than whether or not someone qualifies for acquisition and/or retention of a US passport. Airline PNRs are shared with DHS/CBP, and under some circumstances that may result in the passenger being grabbed on departure attempt.