FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Hong Kong versus IC Grand Stanford comparison
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:14 am
Kaix

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Just to add another perspective on these hotels -

I've stayed at both of these hotels on many business trips during the past year, and I actually prefer the IC-GS vs. the IC-HK for the following reasons:

- The wait for a taxi at IC-HK can be ridiculous. When I have meetings in the morning, the last thing I want to do is wait around for a taxi and risk being late. I have literally walked to the office more than once due to this. IC-GS does not have this problem; there are always taxis available in my experience.

- IC-GS has a lot of great restaurants and bars within close walking distance. Banks (ATMs), 7-11, etc. all close by. IC-HK is a bit isolated, set back kind of far from the main street, and not as convenient to get out and find dinner off-site.

- The IC-HK Pool View Suite is a rather poor suite compared to the IC-GS Jr. Suite, which you can get by foregoing the club lounge access at IC-GS. I don't need to drink every day (and skip breakfast), so I usually opt for the suite upgrade instead of club access.
--IC-HK Pool View Suite has no real view of anything (except a construction site...), no door separating the sitting area from the bedroom area, an aging bathroom, and poor noise insulation from neighbors. It also takes FOREVER to walk to the room from the elevator bank.
--IC-GS suite has a decent view, a completely separate sitting area, no noise issues, a large modern bathroom, and a huge walk-in closet.

- Club-level room at IC-GS is sometimes cheaper than the cheapest IC-HK room. This nets RA both club access and the Jr. Suite.

This is all from the perspective of business travel during the week. If I was redeeming points or staying for leisure, I'd probably choose the IC-HK (definitely on points).