FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid vs T-Mobile for my itinerary
View Single Post
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:37 am
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The other consideration is that within the EU there are caps on the rates that EU mobile phone/SIM providers can charge and nowadays I use my UK SIM within the EU without bothering to "go local" any longer. I currently am on giffgaff in the UK, and if you wanted me to send a giffgaff SIM to you so you can activate it before you leave I am happy to do so. There is a "Refer a Friend" scheme and the net is we both end up getting £5 credit. Other than that I would go for Three because of their "Feel at Home" product.
I agree with you completely regarding using a British sim whether it's giffgaff (which piggybacks within the UK on another's towers, I forget which but it really doesn't matter) or 3 and is fine for making calls, sending texts and using data within the eu (regardless of Brexit?). The one caveat, though, with all the UK sims is once you leave the UK, calls to outside the eu say to North America become prohibitively expensive. There are workarounds but it's an extra little nuisance and it took me awhile to figure them out whereas if, and it's a big if, T Mobile USA is viable, you step off the plane, you turn on your phone and you're up. Not saying it's a bad idea but it does require a bit of research to go the UK sim only route.