FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:02 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul Adams
Like I said, I'm not interested in award flights, just upgrades.

You seem to be recommending Singapore from my 3 choices, as the only Asian AL.
The idea is to build from a bottom tier by gaining tier points asap. The higher your status, the more chance you have of an upgrade.

I already understood that the bottom grade would get you very little (nothing at all!).

As QF points are easy to come by here in Oz, I've read of many people with 100,000s of points that they simply can't use as they are on the bottom tier.

The problem with the Asian AL is that they don't do S America & S Africa except on partner ALs where the points awarded are lower.
Your objective for upgrades only (on any airline), and not awards, will in my view not be successful. You will be flying down the back of the aircraft most times. Low cost fares are often not eligible for upgrades. So you will be spending big $$$ for a fare booking class that is eligible for upgrades, but still not getting them (on any airline).

For upgrades the general rule is you can only upgrade a flight marketed (flight number) and operated (metal) by the airline of your frequent flyer programme (no codeshares) with your airlines upgrade instrument (e.g. SWU, miles) or complementary with status (if applicable) or ff miles/cash. All subject to the t&c's of your FFP and your paid ticket. Low cost tickets are often not eligible for upgrades. Cross airline upgrades are uncommon. If cross airline upgrades are offered they tend to require a very expensive base economy fare.

With awards you have the flight locked in, even if hard to get. As a low status QF ffp I booked Aust USA business class award a few days ago without issue. QF is not my main ffp

Certainly not recommending the Singapore ffp

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 31, 2016 at 7:45 pm Reason: spelling