FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestion in suing United for loss
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:00 am
mikelat

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by krispykrme
I just had one of the worst experience on United.

I was on UA990 from SFO to CDG on 8/28/16. Which was diverted to IAD due to crew rest issue that resulted in a 25 hours delay. While at IAD the premiere desk was able to rebook me on UA122 so that I could arrive in London on 8/29 9pm. That would allow me to drive from Heathrow to Poiters in France and make it to my meeting. At 4:30 am at IAD to check into UA122 it was miraculously that I was pulled off the flight and stuck on UA2090 leaving at 6:30PM. So rendering my one way rental car in Heathrow useless. Fast forward to 8/30 8:40 am, after arriving at CDG, my two rimowa with all my cloth for next two weeks are gone (supposedly in Frankfurt). I am schedule to fly in J on Air China to Haneda thru Beijing on 8/30 evening. So chances are I won't see my bag for next two weeks as I have to go to Tokyo, Sapporo, Seoul, Taiwan, and Singapore before going back to SFO via Tokyo and Paris.

Here is what I have suffered so far

1. 8/29 car rental in Paris- $180
2. 8/29 hotel in Poiters - $200
3. One way car rental from Heathrow to Paris -$1,475.
4. Given united incompetence thus far, I don't think I will find my two Rimowa. Which is about $1800 including my shaver and cloth.

So far I am $3,655 in red.

United offered $200 baggage allowance, and $300 electronic certificate.

Which I think was an insult.

Would like to see if anyone has sued United in small claim court.
United would not be responsible for 1, 2, or 3. There is pretty much zero chance you'd win anything in court for those costs. Those are a good reason to have travel insurance though.

Did you fully pre-pay $1475 for the LHR-Paris car rental? WOW

If you wanted to keep the flight to LHR then did you ask if you could decline them moving you to the flight to CDG and stay on your LHR flight so that you wouldn't lose the car rental? Which was more important?

For #4, they have limitations on baggage claims listed on the site. I'd advise reading up on those and looking to see limits for International travel.