FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earn Your Wings 2016
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:29 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
canadiancow: as always, an enjoyable blog of this year's EYW. You ended this year's blog mentioning this may be your last big run in EYW. I am curious why? Apologies if someone already asked you this up thread. Cheers, CBB.
First, it's getting a little too popular. Especially with there being a top 10 instead of 20, it's getting expensive to aim for it. It's also a little nerve-wracking (less so for me than The_Phoenix179 or philelite) wondering if all the time and money is actually going to do it. The number of people who shot up after I'd booked non-refundable tickets is pretty high.

Second, I find that up to maybe 5% of AC ground agents I talk to make me want to rip my hair out. For travel like SFO-YYZ, I briefly interact with a GA, and maybe get a BP from check-in. Even SFO-YVR-YYZ adds one interaction in the MLL (and increases the chances of interaction as the IRROPS odds increase).

An EYW day of 8 segments probably has 12 forced interactions on a good day, and during IRROPS, that number shoots up drastically. So I'm pulling my hair out at once a day, on average.

Also, DrunkCargo being forcibly removed from EYW left a bad taste in my mouth. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been able to find someone else whom I get a long with, have fun with, and wants to do a cow-run during EYW

Will he want to do it again next year? Maybe. But I'm not doing 7-9 days on my own. The 1.5 days I did on my own at the beginning were extremely boring. It's WAY more fun with someone else.

So it will depend on the rules, my emotions toward AC at the time, and whether I have someone to fly with.