FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost an Engine, Ran into a Storm Today
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:01 pm
yohanson

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Lost an Engine, Ran into a Storm Today

So, I was flying MSP-ORD today and the captain came on when we were near ORD and announced that we were having trouble with one engine and that he didn't want anyone alarmed to see all the emergency personnel when we landed. Well, we flew for at least another 15 mines, turning through a bunch of white pillowy clouds and I was beginning to wonder why we weren't on the ground yet. Then we hit some open area and I could see thunderstorms. It was shortly after that that the captain came on and said that due to the issue with the engine and because of the storm, he didn't want to risk landing so he was diverting to MKE.

As we were about to land at MKE, I got two emails from Proactive Care at AMEX. My company uses Concur, managed by AMEX, and books all of our trips through them. Late last year they contacted me stating that I had been chosen due to my extensive travel and had me download the Proactive Care app. I've never used it but they have called me personally when I've had major travel issues. Apparently they watch my travel closely.

Anyhoo, when we landed, the MKE Delta manager announced we needed to grab out luggage and get on the buses back to ORD so I never bothered to respond to the emails from Proactive Care. I do that, get back to ORD, get on the car rental bus, get my car and head to the hotel. I check in, go to my room and then make a beeline down to the bar/restaurant because I haven't eaten in about 7 hours.

While waiting for my food at the hotel bar, I check my personal email and I see Delta Airlines, Customer Care has emailed me with a case number and the whole 9 yards including 15,000 SM. In it, they apologize for the combination of weather and technical issues that made me divert. That was odd but what made me post this is that they specifically said, Your Loyalty Means a Lot. As a valued corporate customer, we appreciate your company's business... I have NEVER been sent an email from Delta nor has anyone from Delta ever even acknowledged my company when dealing with them in any form of communications. It was always them and me only.

Then, about a half hour later, I get a call from Delta, profusely apologizing and am told that they know I have extra expenses because of it and that they are sending me a check for $100 and wanted to verify my address. Anyone else seeing this lately?

I don't know if this is Delta's new policy of valuing their corporate customers or if it's AMEX's proactive policy of helping their corporate travel customers.