FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Companion Pass Ticket
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:57 pm
jmbarkes

Programs: Southwest, American Airlines
"You could certainly do that for the same cost..but you would not get points or credit for 4 flights, just 2...you ONLY get points for your butt in your seat for the flight segment portion. If you buy tickets for someone else, they get the points for flying...not you even though you bought the ticket. Rewards points and flight segment credits are tied to the flyer, not the purchaser."

PAX- Just to be clear, I would be buying 1 RT ticket to pick her up (her flying 1 way as companion) and then another RT ticket to take her back (her flying with a companion tix) so in that situation I would have 4 one way segments, correct?

TOOMANY- I also agree, A-List is not really that important and my wife is very good at checking in 24 hrs in advance so we are usually late A early B boarding anyway but due to the amount of travel to see our daughter and flying her home, the companion tix is HUGE and the miles for travel is big as I also have had AA miles and every time I try to book that is minimum 1-2 layovers for its lowest mileage. I do have a 2% cash back card that I was using prior to Southwest CC and will go back to using that once I reach the 110k each year. Heck, I can always pay for Priority from that and have some leftover! I was just wondering if there was an easy way to get that also since I was already putting so much cash on the card.

If I got a personal southwest card (mine is a business), would I get another 50k bonus? If not, what if I wait until next year? Also could I then accumulate 2x15,000 miles to A-list (so 30k total) or will they max me at 15k still?