FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Companion Pass Ticket
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:52 am
jmbarkes

Programs: Southwest, American Airlines
Companion Pass Ticket

I'm about 2 months into my Southwest CC and "thought" the companion pass was a 1 time ticket so wasnt too excited about it. Now, thanks to the boards, I relaized its actually for an entire year so I am very excited about it! Fortunately I use my card for business so with the 50k miles bonus, I should have plenty of charges (and trips) to get to companion pass level this year and should use the card enough to get there every year. Couple of questions:

1. If I USE miles for a flight, they are not deducted from my companion pass level, correct? In other words if I get right to 110,000 miles but used 10k in November for a flight and end December with 100k miles I will still have the companion pass for next year, correct?

2. This, I think, is stupid but I will ask any way. My daughter is going to college in a different state so when she is coming home for a bit, does it make sense to BUY a ticket, fly there, Fly back with her riding for free (companion), then buy a return flight with her riding for free and then paying to fly home by myself. Basically the way I look at it is the money I spend on the time I am flying with her is no different since she is flying for free, so my additional expense is basically 1 round trip, however I get 4 one way flights for miles and towards A-list. Is the cost worth it????

Thanks, hope these are not too rookie of questions!