FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:03 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
I initially thought this pre-dated my many early LAX<-->SFO jaunts by a year or so, but my log showed otherwise ... anyway, I'm willing to open the bidding:
  • TWA: L-1011 and 747
  • Pan Am: 747
  • PSA: L-1011 (my first flight on a TriStar was aboard Mama Grinning Bird in Jan 75, so I know this one's right)
  • Northwest: 747
Correct on all counts. Pacific Southwest Airlines was operating up to six departures a day with the L-1011 from LAX to SFO on weekdays with a smaller number of TriStar flights on the weekends. Pan Am was flying two daily 747 departures (and also 707 service) while Northwest was operating one daily 747 flight. TWA had two daily wide body flights, one with a 747 and the other with an L-1011, and was also operating B707-320 service.

Other air carriers included United and Western, of course, but with no wide body service on the route. The largest aircraft flown by UA LAX-SFO at this time was the DC-8-61 while WA was flying B707-320, B720B, B727-200 and B737-200 service.

In addition, Hughes Airwest was operating several nonstop flights a day LAX-SFO with DC-9-30 equipment while Braniff International was flying DC-8-62 service three days a week on the route as an extension of their service from South America (an old Panagra route, of course).

TROPICAL WX UPDATE: Tropical Depression Nine has now formed in the eastern Gulf of Mexico and is forecast to strengthen to a tropical storm. If so, it will be named Hermine. Current forecast track has it coming ashore as a tropical storm on the Gulf Coast of Florida somewhere between Tampa/St. Pete and Panama City later this week.