FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:09 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
56. We’re going to Vegas, Baby! Four airlines offer nonstop service on the SFO-LAS route. Amongst the total of six nonstop flights offered are aircraft built by four different American manufacturers. Of the four airlines, two operate the same aircraft type from one manufacturer; another operates flights with two aircraft from two more different manufacturers, while the fourth airline operates a single flight with an aircraft from a fourth manufacturer, Identify each airline and match it up with the aircraft it flies on this route.
HINT: Four airlines, four different aircraft manufacturers, four different aircraft types - one of them duplicated by two airlines. What's so hard about that for a bunch of pros like you?

I'm fairly sure the four airlines operating nonstop from San Francisco to Las Vegas in 1965 were DL, NA, TW & WA.
What I'm not completely sure about is the equipment each operated on the route. So here are some guesses:

* DL - DC8
* NA - B727-100, DC8
* TW - B707, CV880
* WA - B720B, L-188 Electra

Good guesses, jlemon! You've added a bit extra though, so here's the breakdown...

Delta: DC-8
National: DC-8
TWA: 880
Western: Electra - 720B

Meantime, we continue to make excellent progress with regard to rectifying the flood damage sustained by our home two weeks ago. ^^

Oh, did I mention we are now approaching the height of hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico? Well, of course we are...and there are two areas of disturbed tropical weather currently being monitored by the National Hurricane Center, one over the Bahamas which appears to be moving towards the GOM and the other in the Gulf just south of Louisiana which appears to be drifting towards the Texas coast.

There's still plenty of available houses up here in the 49th State - many of them with indoor plumbing!