FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:25 am
wijibintheair

Programs: BAEC Silver
Good afternoon all! I have been a firm OW supporter for over a decade now, firstly with AA and now with BA. However, with AA devaluing their FFP and BA just basically devaluing their entire airline, I am considering a jump to either *A or ST.

If I jump to *A it will probably be Aegean for the obvious "relatively" easy attainment of status. With most of my flights long-haul likely to be on TK. Currently my long-haul flights tend to be on QR in J which allow me to quickly reach status on BA. But not sure if there is an equivalent relationship within ST.

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Replyriority services when flying airlines in the alliance (check-in, lounge access etc)

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:25,000-50,000

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:Long-haul usually Business (I have the flexibility of being able to buy tickets during sales and not restricted on when I can travel). Shorthaul - cheapest fare.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:Always for pleasure and yes, I choose the airline and class of service I fly.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: As it is for pleasure there are no set route - but usually at least two long-haul intercontinental flights a year. Almost always a Europe - Southern Africa and the second/third flights vary - mostly either Asia or North America. Then maybe 4 intra Europe flights.

(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:BRS (KL fly here which is why I am interested in ST) or LHR

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply:BAEC Silver

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:If I am looking at ST I am honestly not sure, it has been such a long time since flying on a ST carrier.

From the little I have read, I am concerned with the very poor value it seems of the points with AF/KL and DL.

Anything I have missed please just ask.