FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a job with an airline for travel perks?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:01 am
YuropFlyer

I guess most FTers have good degrees/generally have a good job, but would love to actually work in the airline industry for a while.

I myself have checked through some of those "staff needed" advertisement from airlines/airports. And while I certainly believe that working there would be interesting/fun, once the novelity falls off, it's just a service industry job, with even lower pay than usual.

So, this said, if I could work as an FA for, say, 12 months, then get back to my regular job without problems I'd do it immediately. Probably would even work as Checkin Agent/Gate Agent for some limited time, no matter the small pay.

But just as much as I'd like to do that, I know that working in such a job would seriously damage your chances of getting back into your regular, well-paid job.

And honestly, I prefer to pay my own tickets with my own income, rather than somehow trying to be lucky to get company tickets somewhere, standby (and even having to partially pay for those..)

The great times, when working in the travel industry was exciting, special (as in, you couldn't just travel for a weekend to Singapore with what you earn in 2 days..) and actually decently paid, are well over.