FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a job with an airline for travel perks?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:56 pm
seadog83

Yes, professional engineer. My last job was with a F500 Oil service company for 7.5 yrs. Worked/lived in 3 countries. No real set schedule, 24/7/365 availability, literally there were 0 hours in a year where you could reliably tell friends/family you'd be available for something less important than your wedding. My experience with big companies is you are a number, and you exist to get as much out of, for the minimal outlay.

I've travelled all over for work generally always in discount economy, and really don't like it. If I can't at least do things I want (sight see, dive, hiking, meet ppl at hostels) then I don't see the point of spending 24+ hrs sitting on a plane. Additionally, a lot of these grownup jobs don't leave a lot of room for personal travel.

So basically, in the wider scope I suppose I'm looking for a not-to-difficult, low stress, part time job with travel related novelty. Being able to zip off on a whim in F to PVG is novelty. Being forced to work 50 weeks a year and zipping off to Calcutta 6x a year earning miles you'll never have the schedule freedom to use is chains.

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Every airline is different as to how non rev travel works. I'm retired and there is very little space these days, so "perks" aren't what people think. Get a job you enjoy.
I guess therein lay the crux. The vast majority of jobs in my experience are jobs because an average reasonable person would rather be doing something else. I mean, I like doing my own auto repair, I like doing my own plumbing, because I learn something, and it saves money. But when you take money out of it, why would any reasonable person want to spend the better part of a day at a strangers house messing with their toilet.

Last edited by seadog83; Aug 24, 2016 at 7:07 pm