FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JetBlue Points match for Elevate members
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:15 pm
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Basically, three responses:
(1) Non-stop versus dealing with a connection is a non-issue for me as a rule (heck, as it was I dealt with a connection, albeit not a plane-to-plane one). If anything, my behavior has been to prefer arcane connections (e.g. DCA-SLC-DSM) for purposes of non-domestic airline crediting (both in terms of mileage and segment counts).

(2) I've booked-and-flown three segments in Y over the last few years. Two were on B6, one was a short-hop connection on DL where I got an automatic exit row seat gratis since I was in F on the next flight. Every leg on VX has been in F, every other leg on DL has been at least booked in F (one wound up in Y+ due to an issue with being asked to swap flights). Y is just something I generally don't do, so the bottom line is going to be that a Y-only carrier (which is one large chunk of B6) is not for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't need a lie-flat seat on a 90-minute flight...but I really do like 2-2/2-1 seating (aircraft-dependent) versus 3-3 as well as not having to play games with "what is bundled and what is not" [1] in terms of baggage and so on. If anything, my experience has taught me that I'd rather shoot myself than fly economy for any substantial-length trip.

(3) It didn't work for me on this trip (which was kludged to try and knock out the promo above all else). It only worked on the previous one (sort-of) because of an equipment swap which meant that I had a lot of room (and two tray tables, so I could work on my laptop on one and set my drink on the other) but I treat that as an accident.

[1] This is a broader issue with the airline industry...and is also a not-insignificant part of why I just don't touch Y. By way of an explanation, I was booking a ticket for a friend on AA a few weeks back. Said friend has a body form which does not play well with baseline Y (very long legs combined with mounting knee issues) and so needs the extra legroom. He was giving me a hard time for booking him in F until I pointed out that the difference between F and extra-legroom Y was $25 and got him breakfast and booze if he wanted them (as well as checked luggage if it became necessary). He promptly facepalmed at how much the airline industry had changed since he'd had to book his own ticket last.